Sunday, July 10, 2011

On Vision- Part 1 {Day 2}

There was a time in my life when I spent my days and nights worrying dreaming about "my vision." Some of you reading this know *exactly* what I'm talking about without me even typing another word. It was programmed into us: Remember "Without vision, people perish," and "What's the one thing that you HAVE to do before you die?"-- and somewhere along the way, it became the measuring rod of success in my life.

The thing is, as noble as that charge was, at 17, 18 or 19 years old, how do you know? Don't get me wrong (bear with me while I insert my obligatory caveat), I believe that we can have a dream and even know at a young age what the Lord is asking us to pursue in our lives. After all, I want that for my children too. But what I also know is that 1 internship, 365 daily quiet times and 2 fasting and prayer retreats later, the dream that I was so passionate to pursue at age 20 died as new seasons of my life sprang to life. And ironically, it really wasn't "the death of a dream," but rather, "the death of a neat idea."

While those same seasons gave birth to new dreams, somehow those new dreams erroneously felt ignoble in comparison. And I couldn't quite shake that what I was living...the new dream that I was pursing...it just surely wasn't enough. After all, if I could imagine it, then I obviously wasn't dreaming big enough for God, right?

(Stay tuned for more. I'm not sure how long we'll stay on this topic, but let me assure you from the start that this messages isn't anti-"dreaming dreams." On the contrary, it's about visioneering with wisdom, but we'll get to that later. ;))

4 comments:

  1. :) You've made it two days!

    Can't wait to see the rest of your thoughts on this. You know it's near and dear to this heart of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmm friend. this is definitely a big one. spend more time here. I'm interested in the rest of your thoughts. wishing for a cup of Joe with you right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you blogging. With time I'm certain you'll fall in love with it's therapeutic effects ;-)

    ReplyDelete